What is a cambelt?
The cambelt or timing belt is a critical part of your engine, connecting the valvetrain (camshaft) to the crankshaft whilst ensuring that the valves in your engine open at exactly the right moment. The cambelt is classed as a perishable item by manufactures and must be replaced at manufacturer’s recommended intervals to avoid extensive and expensive engine damage.
Do I have a cambelt?
This is a question that gets asked a lot. It is always better to be safe than sorry in regards to cambelts. Some vehicles are fitted with a cambelt whilst some are fitted with a timing chain.
The vast majority of timing chains do not have replacement intervals as they are designed to be service free. However, with today’s demanding environment that is not always the case.
If you are unsure, or even just looking for peace of mind, give us a call with your vehicle registration number and we will be able to advise you over the phone as to what your vehicle has.
When Should I have my cambelt replaced?
This unfortunately doesn’t have an exact answer due to the fact that vehicle manufactures all vary their recommendations. We can inform you of the replacement interval for your vehicle in the same way we can advise you as to whether your vehicle as a cambelt or a timing chain.
If you have a fluid leak from your engine that has contaminated the cambelt, then it is always advised to be replaced along with any repair work to stop the fluid leak.
Should I have my timing chain replaced?
Timing chains are not as often replaced as cambelts, as a timing chain is designed to be service free. However with all ‘service free’ items there are always exceptions to the rule. Unusual noises, particularly on start-up, or an illuminated engine management light on the dash could be an indication that your timing chain has stretched and the automatic tensioner can no longer cope with the excessive free play in a stretched timing chain.
Colin Post Motor Engineers cambelt service:
- We use the correct timing tools to ensure your engine is running at optimal efficiency.
- We use the correct timing tools for your engine to ensure it is timed up correctly instead of used the current timing as reference
- Where applicable, we replace all components relating to the cambelt drive components, including the cambelt, tensioner, guide pulleys, and water pump.
- The coolant will be drained and refilled with the specific and concentration manufacture coolant.
- We are cheaper than main dealers using the same equipment, technical information and parts, whilst carrying the same warranty.